There are two types of discounts available in the City Hive Merchant Dashboard; coupons and automatic discounts. In this article, we'll go over how to create a coupon code and several use cases for this type of discount.
What is a coupon code?
A coupon code is fairly self explanatory. It's a discount that requires your customers to enter the code at checkout to receive the discount.
Types of coupons
There are endless variations of discounts able to be created in the City Hive Merchant Dashboard but in this article we'll focus on the three most popular iterations. Keep an eye out for other articles that will go over how to create the more advanced iterations. These three types are:
- Order discount
- Product specific discount
- Free delivery/shipping discount
Keep in mind that all of these discounts can also be created as automatic discounts as well
An order discount is a coupon that gives a specified amount off of the order total, whether it be dollar or percentage based.
Step 1. Create A New Coupon
Click on the promotions menu in the City Hive Merchant Dashboard, navigate to the "Coupons" section, and click "New Coupon"
Step 2. Fill out the details
1. Coupon Name: This is the code that your customers will use at checkout to receive the discount. Make sure to keep it under 12 characters, one word, and don't use any special characters.
We recommend that coupon names be ALL CAPS and remember you can't repeat names.
2. Coupon Description: This is where you describe the discount the customer will receive. It will be visible to your customers so make sure it is clear and concise.
3. Discount Amount: This is the amount that will be taken off the total. You can toggle between dollar and percentage modes by clicking the symbol in the text field.
4. Discount Options: These are some of the advanced options that we'll discuss in a later article.
5. Order Limit: This is the number of times that a single customer can use the code. This can be left blank.
6. Max Discount Amount (percentage mode only): This is the max dollar amount that can be given to a customer when using a percentage coupon. This can be left blank if you wish.
Once you've filled out the details of the coupon, click "Continue" to proceed to the coupon options.
Step 3. Choose Coupon Parameters
Each of the plugins in the list gives the coupon a more detailed set of parameters, for almost infinite uses. We'll go over each briefly below, the more advanced plugins will be covered in future articles.
For a basic order coupon, you can choose to skip all of the plugins.
- Offer type - Limit the coupon to specific order types (pickup, delivery, shipping)
- Email - Limit the coupon to specific email addresses (firstname.lastname@example.org) or email domains (anyone with "@gmail.com")
- Date Limited - Limit the coupon to a specific set of dates (today to next Monday)
- Time Limited - Limit the coupon to specific hours of the day
- Day Limited - Limit the coupon to a specific day of the month (every month on the 21st) or day of the week (every Friday)
- Minimum Order Amount - Limit the coupon to only apply on orders with subtotal above this amount
- Category and Product - Limit the coupon to only apply on certain products, categories, or quantities.
We'll go into detail on this plugin for product specific coupons
- First Order - Limit the coupon to only apply to customers who have less than a specified number of orders
If you want to create a First Purchase Promotion for your store, contact us, we'll help pay for it!
- Excludes Discounts - Limit the coupon to only apply on non-sale items or items without the "NODISCOUNT" tag
We strongly suggest using this plugin for every coupon to prevent "double dipping"
- Geo - Limit the coupon to only apply to a specific geographic area
- Customer Specific - Limit the coupon to only apply to specific customer IDs
Make sure to click continue after each plugin that you activate to save the setting.
Step 4. Review and Save
Once you've gone through all of the plugins, you'll be able to review the options you've selected and then click "Create" to save your coupon.
Product Specific Discount
A product specific discount uses the category and product plugin to limit the coupon to only apply on certain products, categories or quantities.
If you're looking to create a case discount, that's best done as an automatic discount
Create the coupon by following the steps above
Category and Product Plugin
In this plugin, there are several different ways to limit the coupon to certain products.
- Select a filter from the dropdown menu to choose how to filter the products. Some of the more popular filters are:
- Views - Choose from the categories of products in your store (wine, beer, spirits, etc)
- POS ID - Enter the SKUs from your POS that you want the coupon to apply to
- Tags - Enter the product tag that you want the coupon to apply to
- Size - Choose the size of product you want the coupon to apply to (750mL)
- If there is a minimum or maximum quantity of products, you can enter that here.
Free delivery/shipping coupons can give a 100% discount on any delivery/shipping fees you charge, or a specific amount.
Create a coupon by following the steps above.
Step 1. Create the coupon
Follow the steps above for creating a coupon as you normally would, except for the discount amount put "0". Then continue through the rest of the discount plugins, filling out any necessary parameters.
Step 2. Navigate to Add Ons - Discount Feature
Just before the Summary screen where you can review the details of the coupon, you'll find the discount feature section.
Step 3. Set delivery/shipping discount
Each coupon can only give a discount on either delivery or shipping, not both. Choose which you would like to provide by checking the box next the option. For free delivery/shipping, enter 100 in the discount amount, then check the percentage box. This will give 100% off the delivery/shipping fee. For a dollar based coupon, just enter the amount in the discount amount field (for example $5 off a $10 fee). Make sure to click continue to save.
If you have any questions or need a more advanced coupon, contact the support team at email@example.com